Genocide Mascare in 1965
Dudy Novriansyah | Thursday, 21 July 2016 − 15:26 WIB
JAKARTA – Members of the International People’s Tribunal on the 1965 crimes against humanity in Indonesia (IPT 1965) are resolved to pursue justice over the genocide of the 1965 anti communist purge and will submit the tribunal’s hearing results that were published on Wednesday to the Indonesian government.
“The verdict will be conveyed to the Attorney General’s Office (AGO), Coordinating Political, Legal and Security Affairs Minister Luhut Pandjaitan, Law and Human Rights Minister Yasonna Laoly and the Foreign Ministry’s human rights department, as well as to the Office of the Presidential Staff and President Joko Widodo in a meeting, which was previously promised by former presidential spokesman Johan Budi,” IPT 1965 coordinator Nursyahbani Katjasungkana said during a presentation of the final report from the tribunal.
Conclusions from the hearing, which was held last year in The Hague from Nov. 10 to 13, have listed a set of recommendations to the Indonesian government in addressing past crimes against humanity that took place throughout the anti-communist purge in 1965, which had allegedly killed approximately 500,000 people.
The document calls on the government to formally apologize to the victims and their families, provide compensation to them and to investigate and charge the perpetrators of the crimes.
Nursyahbani said, she would also submit the recommendations to the House of Representatives’ Commission III, which oversees legal affairs, to discuss follow-up action plans and the possibility of organizing a judicial hearing.
On April 17 next year, Nursyahbani said, the report on the implementation of human rights in Indonesia would be reviewed in the Universal Periodic Review at the Human Rights Council in Geneva.
“This also will be an opportunity for us to submit the IPT 1965 verdict as a non-governmental report from Indonesia,” Nursyahbani said.